Monday, May 21, 2012

Whoopie Pies!!!

Hello Reader,

Do you know what a whoopie pie is? A real one - not one of those not-so-cheap knock-offs at Starbucks. If not, I suggest reading up on the history of the whoopie pie and all it's controversy on the always enlightening, Wikipedia. Once you really know what I am talking about, please continue.

I have always enjoyed whoopie pies and I feel it is part of being from that neck of the woods. Since leaving Maine, I have had regular cravings for them and gone to great lengths to get them. I have brought them on planes, had them shipped, and had friends bring them out when they visit. I have never put in this much effort for dessert before. I have a colleague out here from Maine and we talk and reminis about whoopie pies constantly - it is a little ridiculous, but so is the fact that the southwest has not discovered a real whoopie pie.

   
http://www.wickedwhoopies.com

A few months ago I created a treasury list on my Etsy account titled "My Heart's in Maine" where I featured things that remind me of home: pine trees, snow, chickadees, the rocky coastline, light houses, blueberries, lobster, and, of course, whoopie pies. One women, who was featured, commented on my list and sent me a message stating how hard it must be to relocate to another corner of the country. She seemed downright appalled that I was forced into such a situation and said any time I needed a taste of home to let her know. I thought that was sweet of her (no pun intended.)

Well, about a month and a half ago I got another message from the women saying she was making whoopie pies and needed my address. After some niceties were exchanged several times ("oh you don't have to," "it's my pleasure," "I'll pay for shipping," "no you won't," yata, yata, yata...) I gave in and she sent me two homemade whoopie pies. It was great! I didn't take a picture of them to share because they honestly looked like two hockey pucks - it's  a rough trip from ME to AZ in the postal service system - but the taste was there and that is what counted for me!

This is one of favorite stories to share since moving out here. I think it is a typical Mainer thing to do; I don't know you, you don't know me, but I'm going to send you fattening food!

Thanks for reading!

- M

P.S. If anyone out there has a real Maine whoopie pie recipe, could you send it to me? Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment