Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Back to school ...

Hello Reader,

Remember that Staples ad where the father was flying down the aisles collecting school supplies for his kiddos and you hear, "it's the most wonderful time of the year" playing in the background?  See below ...




... I relate to the kiddos in the ad right now. Classes start in the morning, and I'm not sure if I am ready (actually, I know I am not ready, I just realized I didn't post my syllabus today). Things have slowly been picking up all over town the past few weeks. It has been a ghost town this summer. I saw a population count for Tempe, AZ be estimated at approximately 50,000 people...this number confuses me since the Tempe campus has approximately 50,000 students, but it certainly felt as if the whole town left during summer vacation.


I started to feel the end of summer blues a few weeks ago when the local high schools resumed. I wait for the bus across the street from one and I get my fair share of people watching in by 7:30 a.m. everyday. (I find the most fascinating pattern to be when these students all get off their respective buses they make their way to the Walgreen's across the street. The first week I noticed this pattern, all the students seemed to leave the store with balloons. I have discovered they typically leave with sugary drinks and snacks before they go into the school. That is a rant for another day.)


I find the end of summer blues come with a lot of reflection. I've been thinking about high school, my first year of college (and the 5 years that followed), and how I had no idea I would be moving to AZ at this time last year. It is amazing how much can happen and drastically change in a year. I think that is a good conclusion to come to and keep with me on the eve of the fall semester.

Ready or not, here we go!

- M

No comments:

Post a Comment