Tuesday, August 14, 2012

HABOOB!


Hello Reader,

Nothing says welcome back to AZ like walking out your front door and seeing a wall of dust coming along the horizon.
These dust storms are called haboobs (I giggled the first time I heard that). They don't have names like hurricanes - there is no Haboob Florence, probably because there are more dust storms than letters in the alphabet. This is the first dust storm I have truly encountered since being in AZ. I have seen them pass by, but this one actually came rolling through my neck of the woods. You can find out more about them and see much more dramatic pictures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haboob
Really, this one was quite anticlimactic.  The sun went away (which is more than ok in this heat), no one goes outside during it (in this heat, who would want to anyways), and you waited for it to pass (just like the extreme heat of the day.)

I look forward to more.

Thanks for reading!

- M

2 comments:

  1. hahaha Haboobs. If I walked out my front door and saw that I would turn right back around and shut the door lol.

    ReplyDelete