Monday, May 27, 2013

Last Week as an Advisor

Hello Reader,

I've alluded to changes happening and sharing as they came, so here's the next big one ... a new job!

I am officially no longer an academic advisor. Starting this week I am an Academic Services Coordinator for the School of Film, Dance, and Theatre! Craziness!

I've done my fair share of reflecting over the past week and the primary thought is how surreal it is that I am changing jobs. I moved out here for the academic advisor position, I thought I'd stick around for a few years then move on to San Diego, or San Francisco, or Seattle. I never, never, thought I would be moving on to another job at this institution, let-alone within a performing arts school, while I'm pursuing my MFA in Dance ... unreal, yet wonderfully perfect.


This office and the role I played will always have a special place in my heart. It is the sole reason I am here, and I feel a great loyalty because of it. I've learned so much about myself both personally and professionally and the extreme diversity that exists in this vast community. I've had conversations with students and colleagues who have had incredible journeys full of challenges and hardships that have lead them to where we have met.

... on the flip side of that, I've also had plenty of conversations that make me worry about the future of the world....

For example: 

Me: So, why did you make this appointment today?
Student: I need to sign up for fall classes.
Me: ... do you know you've been disqualified from the university?
Student: No, what does that mean?
Me: It means that you are no longer allowed to attend the university.
Student: But I signed a lease for an apartment next year!

But then there are the cuter ones such as:

Me: So, what are we talking about today?
Student: Omigod, I'm just so stressed out and I just need to, like, figure out life.
Me: OK...well, we only have 20 minutes.
Student: That should be enough time.

And two classic moments from my final advising appointment. I should also mention, this student is a senior:

Student: So, I need to retake a class because I didn't do very well in it, and now I'm off-track because of my GPA, so I thought retaking the course would help my GPA and then I'd be back on-track for graduation, but I'm not sure if I can retake the course this fall because I don't know if I'm in 15 or 16 credits, I think it's 16 so then that means I can't retake the course without your permission for an override, right? So, I figured maybe I can take the course this summer, but if I'm in 15 credits then I can take it this fall, so I'm here to figure out when I can take it. So, I guess, what I want to know is, do I need your permission to take another class?
Me: You don't know how many credits your taking this fall?
Student: (laughing) No.
 
...Same appointment, I was explaining a course he was taking this fall, when I highlighted it on the screen...

Student: I got a 2.0 in that class?!
Me: ... no, that's how many credits you've enrolled in it for ... 

I'm going to miss these conversations, however, I'm sure I will continue to have plenty of great student stories in my new role as well.

Bye, office. It's been real.

Thanks for reading.

- M



No comments:

Post a Comment